Sunday, April 6, 2008

Score One for the Good Guys: Fred Phelps in Trouble"

This is great news.   At last, those Westboro Baptist Church bastards of "God Hates Fags" fame are finding their strangely slick legal maneuvers a bit empty this time out.

More like this, please.

It's worth pausing, though, to report something I found altogether fascinating.   Fred Phelps is a Democrat.

That probably didn't register at first, so let me repeat:

Fred Phelps of the aforementioned "God Hates Fags" fame is a Democrat.

What the hell is he doing in the party of San Francisco?   You can't tell me that he is unaware of the Democratic Party's platform reputation regarding gay rights, gay marriage, et al.  Per Wikipedia (yes, I know, but it was fast), he started out as a civil rights lawyer, too.  

I realize that one's political views need not invariably follow the current separations as selected by the parties . . . I am, after all, a conservative agnostic, and thus I also slip through certain cracks in the whole New-Deal-vs.-Conservative-coalitions thing.

But applying all the stereotypes, it seems to me that a raving lunatic homophobe who bases his hatred of homosexuals on quasi-Calvinist Biblical teachings would, alas, be a more natural fit for the Republican, conservative party. The fact that he's a Dem is almost enough to put me in a conspiracist mood. (And c'mon, lefties . . . you can't tell me that finding out Osama bin Laden was a Republican wouldn't make you jump right to the conspiracist conclusion.)

How do they afford all that protesting everywhere, anyway?

No comments: